The Ride for Refuge is a day when Canadians declare their solidarity with millions of people in Canada and around the world who are displaced, exploited, persecuted and abused.
- We ride or walk together to call attention to those whose lives have been stripped bare by pain – from life, hatred, greed, or disaster.
- We speak up for those treated as raw materials for others’ financial gain.
- We defend those crushed by forces that care nothing for their suffering.
- We raise funds for RIDE-approved organizations whose commitment and work transforms peoples’ lives.
- Every push of the pedal and every stride we take powers the future for those who otherwise have no safe place and no one to defend them.
- Relief & Aid: Direct aid for people experiencing catastrophe, war, and oppression
- Development & Reconstruction: Direct or third-party NGO support for development and reconstruction initiatives, including micro-finance and sustainable funding
- Food & Water: Programs supporting nutrition, food banks, missions and accessible water
- Shelter & Housing: Any shelter, whether temporary, permanent, or expansion
- Medical & Dental: Treatment and follow-up care, including HIV clinics, pediatrics, pain management, and all necessary supplies
- Education & Tuition: Job skills, trades, ESL, career, tuition support, and Biblical curriculum and training
- Settlement & Acclimatization: New arrival support, training and financial aid
- Counsel & Legal: Spiritual counselling, development, discipleship, care for post-traumatic stress syndrome, and immigration and refugee claim legal counsel
Ride For Refuge Edmonton
According to the Ride for Refuge Edmonton site, the Presbytery of Edmonton Lakeland team raised $ $6,089.00. According to Charlie McNeil’s email of Oct. 4th, the Knox, Lloydminster team raised $980.00. Altogether, the Presbytery raised $7,069.00.
What a wonderful job, and as Charlie said, “great to be together and out in God’s creation.”
Let’s do this again next year.
Presbytery Missions Convener